March 16, 1942 - March 8, 2013
Don Ingerslew with his FFR Cobra
On March 8, 2013, Tarheel Sports Car Club lost one of its most selfless and most friendly family members.
Don Ingerslew joined THSCC in early 2003. Don has alway been an amazing resource to the club as a heavy contributor to both the autocross and track programs. Don was always willing to help new participants and help the club setup and clean up before and after events. He never got tired of the endless questions about his beautiful Factory Five Racing Spec Cobra or the incessant drooling over said car by everyone who has seen it. Don was a very cheerful and funny man and, as secretary of THSCC, has written some of the most entertaining and witty meeting minutes.
Member quotes about Don:
- "I'll miss Don and his warm greetings and love of motorsports and good humor."
- "Don was truly a great man and will be missed by many. He was always one of the first to offer to lend a hand whether it be with event set up, a busted car, or whatever you needed. He helped with the autocross program in numerous ways over the years and also picked up the slack in a number of places in the track program. He was, overall, just a huge asset to the club. I'll miss seeing yellow #64 going round the track."
- "He was a truly generous and kind person."
- "He was always quick with a warm welcome, friendly conversation and a smile."
- "Don was truly one of the most genuinely good guys I've ever known. I remember the first day I met him at a THSCC meeting many years ago with his red Mustang that he had participated in the Silver State Classic in Nevada with and talking of the FF Cobra he was preparing to build at the time which became the yellow beast we all know and love. I remember thinking that this was one cool old dude who lived life well and clearly loved cars; I wanted to be like Don when I grew up. I will miss his friendly face and warm greetings and consider it a privilege to have known him. I'll miss seeing that yellow Cobra at events. I will miss his witty approach to meeting minutes that we were just getting to know. I'm saddened that I just left the state and will not be able to honor his life attending his funeral. RIP Don Ingerslew. You will not soon be forgotten."
- "Don was one of the most thoughtful and giving people we had in the club. I've seen him spend his entire day at an autocross helping a newcomer to the sport and to the club, taking him under his wing. Don didn't even think about it. It was automatic."
"W. Donald Ingerslew, 70, of Cary, NC died on Friday, March 8, 2013. He is survived by his wife, Mary Kathleen Ingerslew; three children, Jim, Kim, and Tracey, and 9 grandchildren. A celebration of his life will be held at the Catholic community of St. Francis of Assisi, 11401 Leesville Rd. Raleigh, NC on Friday, March 15th, 2013 at 2:00pm. Interment will immediately follow in the St. Francis of Assisi Columbarium. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in the name of W. Donald Ingerslew to, Hospice of Wake County, 250 Hospice Cir. Raleigh, NC 27607."
We do so miss your friendly smile and quick wit, dear friend,
and we'll do an extra lap for you.