PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

Quick facts
2002 BMW M Roadster
just under 19k miles
315hp S54 engine with 5spd manual
clean carfax
title in hand
$24,995 (price includes new tires)

Ultra rare! BMW built just under 1600 S54 M Roadsters. All were built in Greer, SC USA! Only 643 were built in 2002. This one is an especially rare color combo of Sapphire black metallic over Oregan Beige leather.

Body is in excellent condition with no dents, dings, or accidents ever. There are a few scratches and rock chips. I have always waxed with Zymol and the car has never been buffed. The only defect can be seen the rear bumper picture. The original owner lived in a gated community that required parking stickers. A small patch of paint came off with the metallic sticker about the size of a quarter. It didn't bother me so I never did anything with it but I will likely airbrush a repair or cover it with a Z3 club sticker. In the same picture you can see the rear roundel paint has chipped off. I have a new one waiting to be installed.

Interior is in mint condition with absolute minimal wear. All S54 M Roadsters featured power heated leather seats, grey faced guages, engine oil temp guage, BMW business CD stereo with subwoofer and two amplifiers, lined power convertible top, DSC traction control, cruise, power windows and locks, and side air bags. The most common wear area is the drivers side bolster. Mine is in excellent condition as you can see from the pictures. The beige leather stays much cooler than black in the summer sun.

Engine developed rod knock at 9k miles and was replaced by BMW under warranty in 2008. This is peace of mind for the owner since S54 M Roadsters were not included in the multiple early M3 recalls. This engine got all the updates that make the S54 reliable and legendary. This included upgraded bearings, stronger rods, better oiling, the list goes on. BMW replaced the coolant and brake fluid at the same time. The oil has been replaced two more times since the new engine was installed. I have all records and manuals with the car.

Wheels and Tires are the original chrome shadow BMW road stars. One wheel has very light curb rash. I have a new spare wheel that is included with the car. The original tires still pass inspection but I was planning to replace them anyway so new tires are included in the price. I consider tires a sort of personal decision so I will order new tires for the buyer or negotiate accordingly.

Brakes are original and in excellent condition. The fluid is ATE Super Blue. There is no pedal pulsation or rotor warpage. I used the car mainly for weekend getaways and BMW events.

Converible Top is in good condition but shows a little "fuzziness". I think it's mostly because it's tan whereas my previous M Roadster had a black top. It doesn't leak and I waterproof it annually. The rear window gets polished a couple times a year and is in excellent condition.

This car has been BMW enthusiast owned its entire life. This is my 3rd M Roadster and I've also owned an M Coupe. The subframe gets inspected annually. I have attended eight Z3 homecoming events (2 with this car). I plan to include some BMW Homecoming goodies with the purchase.

Upgrades
ZHP shift knob
Ireland Engineering rear subframe bushings (not installed)
ATE Superblue fluid
new battery just installed
Tyvek storage cover
LeatherZ extended armrest (ver II with larger armrest)

It must be weird to be normal...

Post subject: Re: 2002 BMW M Roadster 315hp S54 w/ 19k miles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:01 pm 

Gorgeous!

The market was soft when I sold my 2001 last year, so I hope things have firmed up and you do better than I did!

GLWS!

Last edited by Steven Carter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 am 

Based on various peanut galleries across cyberspace, I've been told I will have better luck selling the car with new tires already on vs letting the buyer choose their own rubber. That being said, I would put on sticky summer stuff. Likely Star Specs or PS2's rather than an all season.

Opinions on the matter??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 am 

David Edwards wrote:
Based on various peanut galleries across cyberspace, I've been told I will have better luck selling the car with new tires already on vs letting the buyer choose their own rubber. That being said, I would put on sticky summer stuff. Likely Star Specs or PS2's rather than an all season.

Opinions on the matter??

Seems to me the person who would be a willing buyermight be very interested in the OE tires, as this car *may* end up having collector value, although the non-original engine may hurt that (or not, as that "engine of Damocles" reputation was part of the S54 mystique.) Personally I would not change your offer as it is written, but if your car doesn't sell in a few months maybe consider rewording it at that point.

As a point of reference, the only serious buyer for my car was a collector, and BMWUSA executive. Your car should attract similar interested parties.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am 
My stiffness is only an illusion

If you selling the car to a broad market, I'd stay w/ a nicer all season tire rather than the star specs. Not everyone out there likes to beat up on cars like we do. Just my 2cents worth of opinion.

'08 Bullitt mustang, CAM 7
Autox VP '09-'10, President '11-'12, interim President 2nd half of ‘14
proud recipient of the Bowie Grey service award '12
Now just a guy driving a mustang....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 

The market for an M roadster will not be interested in all season tires. Summer only for sure, just not something as hardcore as a star spec. People might not like the amount of noise they make.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 am 

Honestly, I've always looked at performance tires on any of the cars I've bought as a 'bonus' and if they are lackluster, well, that's what Test & Tunes are for. 8) Most buyers don't really have the same affliction as us autocrossers and track rats.

It sounds like this car attacts very, very selective buyers so I'd say that having OE spec tires would be adventagous to folks that truely want it as stock as the day it rolled off the assembly line. When I sold my '97 R, it had the actually had the same stock Bridgestones (the 195/55/15 RE010's got re-released) that were designed for the car and I definitely mentioned that to the seller, although he realized it.

I think it comes down to the buyer but going with OE tires would be a better bet than the top of the line 200TW autocross tire.

-Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 pm 

Sold today for $22,500 to a BMW dealer. I didn't have to so much as wash the car. Sad to see her go as that was likely my last Z3 ever. Oh well, onward and upward I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:25 am 

congrats! :thumbsup:

I saw a 2002 MCoupe on BaT recently and thought of your ad. Glad you got a good price for it.

What's next?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 pm 

Funny you should ask. Well, I'm 42 and in the midst of a not so typical mid life crisis. Unlike most people, I'm not clamoring for a new exotic sports car. Instead I've been selling off the fleet and looking to simplify my life. No debt and fewer projects so I can live cheaper and free up time to travel and spend time with my 5 year old.

Anyway, I'm not there yet. I've sold over $60k in cars this year (02 M roadster, 11 Venza, 12 Sonic) but I still have a few more to go. I plan to keep this 02 Insight I bought recently since I will still be commuting from wilson to greenville several days a week. Some of you may remember I just sold my 05 Insight. The 02 was just cheaper.

With the THSCC rallyx program rapidly failing, I am gonna sell my Subaru 2.5 RS and shop for a sporty family sedan or crossover to go along with the Insight. I really like the 2.5 RS I have no but it's a tad small and rough around the edges for family duty.

So, after 12 years of Z3 ownership, 20 years of mopar A bodies, and 20 years old classic corvettes, I am done and shopping for a family car......

I'm starting a new thread for car advice but I thought I would close out my Z3 thread this way.

Last edited by David Edwards on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 pm 
Flipper

I tell you what. If we did not already have the wrx, and the z3 2.8l roadster. That car would be enticing. But as it sits.. We already have cars.

Good luck though man. Nice machine.I thought it was teh edwards who have the rally sentra, its the Adams family not you guys. sorry for the mix up.